Kid-Approved Homemade Power Granola
This crunchy, toasted power-packed medley provides belly-filling, long-burning energy.
Granola is a go-to in my household for breakfast, as a snack or even an after dinner treat. This crunchy, toasted power-packed medley provides belly-filling, long-burning energy from the wholeness of oats, healthy oils and added protein from nuts, and a boost of sweetness, nutrients and antioxidants from dried fruits. A pinch of cinnamon and salt bring all of the flavors together and cinnamon offers delicious anti-inflammatory and blood-sugar balancing benefits. The variations are virtually endless and the technique is so simple that my 3-1/2 year old son has it down pat (with a little help of measuring amounts from mama).
Yield: about 5 cups
- 2 ½ cups organic rolled oats
- ½ cup nuts – use one or a combination of sliced almonds, dried coconut flakes, pecans and/or walnuts
- ½ cup seeds – use one or a combination of pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ cup dried fruit – use one or a combination of dried blueberries, goji berries, mulberries, and /or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with a silicone baking liner or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and salt. Add coconut oil and maple syrup and stir until well mixed.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 19-23 minutes until toasted and golden, stirring after 10 minutes for even cooking.
- Let cool to room temperature and mix in dried fruit. Store in a sealed jar or container for up to 1 week.
Images: include using sliced almonds, coconut flakes, pecans, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried blueberries, mulberries and raisins