How to Incorporate Aromatherapy Into Your Abode with Aromatherapy Associates
From invigorating citruses to calming florals to grounding spices, which scent will best support you in your needs today?
2020 has been a trying year, to say the least. Amidst unfamiliar challenges, new norms, and an uncertain future, mental well-being is making its way up to the top of people’s priority lists. Whether you need to address a specific obstacle or you simply want to create a healthy healing space, Aromatherapy Associates is our go-to when it comes to essential oil therapy. Incomparable to others on the market, the products use only the purest, most ethically viable ingredients.
Why is aromatherapy so beneficial for a healthy mind? How can we incorporate it into our everyday lives? BWB spoke (virtually) with Christina Salcedas, Global Head of Education and Well-Being at Aromatherapy Associates, to get some essential answers.
What are some of the key benefits of aromatherapy on mental health and well-being?
Aromatherapy has such a transforming effect because it taps into the limbic system. This part of the brain deals with emotions, memories and stimulation. In fact, it can even influence hormonal responses. Essential oils are able to bypass the blood-brain barrier through the olfactory system. Once inhaled, essential oils can alter our brain chemistry. This interaction stimulates memories, moods, and feelings.
Our sense of smell is estimated to be 10,000 times more acute than our other senses. Olfactory molecules travel faster to the brain than both sight and sound. This interaction provokes a cascade of physical and emotional reactions before we register the aroma in our conscious brain. Endorphins uplift our mood while our central nervous system begins to relax. The power of aromatherapy is its holistic effect on well-being, mind, body and spirit.
What makes Aromatherapy Associates unique in its category?
Our founders, Geraldine Howard and Sue Beechey, are students of real pioneering aromatherapists. They observed firsthand the effect essential oils had on a person’s well-being. As a result, they knew they needed to share the knowledge with as many people as possible. Geraldine and Sue worked in clinics and blended the oils themselves. In fact, they continued to treat clients even after setting up the brand.
Our products are unique because:
- All of Aromatherapy Associates bath & shower oils are formulated with up to 30 percent essential oils. We work from a therapeutic palette. This means we select each oil in the right percentage to truly deliver the specific benefit you want to achieve.
- We quality test the distilled pure essential oils. All our distilled pure essential oils go through a rigorous quality testing procedure. Our highly trained master blender smells and vets each and every oil.
- We hand-blend all our secret formulas. Initially, we use a few of the most influential and complimentary essential oils together in small micro blends. The ratios of essential oil is imperative. Too much or too little will upset the balance. Knowledge, practice and artistry are at the heart of every bottle.
What are some basic guidelines to remember on how to use aromatherapy effectively?
- It’s important to source your essential oils and carrier oils safely.
- Essential oils should not be taken internally, according to UK law.
- Essential oils should be mixed with a carrier before application to the skin.
- Follow your nose! It will guide you to what you most need.
What does your at-home wellness routine look like with aromatherapy throughout the day?
- I start with a shower using our new oil-to-milk Shower Oils. Rose is currently my favorite. They are super cleansing and nourishing at the same time. They smell divine! Definitely worth the 18-month wait.
- Then, I apply the Renewing Rose Body Cream onto my skin. This product helps keep my skin hydrated, especially during the summer months when skin is most exposed.
- You won’t find me without a roller ball or a mist at my desk during the day. I love De-Stress Mind with calming Chamomile and focusing Frankincense. When I want to get outside but just can’t, I love our new Forest Therapy Wellness Mist.
- Towards the end of the day, I love to put the Relax Room Fragrance on our Room Fragrancer. It signals to the brain that it’s time to unwind.
- Afterwards, I might soak in the bath with Light Relax Bath & Shower Oil to unwind after a busy day.
- Just before bed, I spray a mist of our Deep Relax Sleep Mist onto myself and my pillow. Then, I give myself a quick hand and foot rub with the Deep Relax Sleep Well Nourishing Body Treatment. It is a perfect end to the day.
Any must-have equipment/accessories to accompany Aromatherapy Associates’ essential oils at home or on your person?
- Revive Body Brush — stimulates circulation and lymph, brightens the skin and allows all your products to absorb better meaning you get the best out of them.
- Room Fragrancer — the ability to change the scent in your environment is great. This is a pet and child-safe diffuser that warms the essential oils, meaning you always get a beautiful, unadulterated scent. You can choose from Relax and Revive Room Fragrance to Frankincense and Lavender Pure Essential Oil. Our newest blend Forest Therapy Essence is a firm favorite of the family at the moment.
- Roller Balls and Mists — these are your aromatherapy on-the-go! Relax, De-Stress, Revive, Support, Inner Strength, and coming soon –Forest Therapy!
Given how much time we are required to spend indoors now, what kind of scents do you recommend for the home and for the office?
If you want to get the day going, a citrus blend like Revive Morning is perfect. Alternatively, if you need to focus before an important meeting or event, try De-Stress Frankincense. And if you want to embrace the outdoors, our Forest Therapy Essence is ideal. Relax Room Fragrance featuring West Indian Bay & Myrrh is great for the end of the day.
What works for you when it comes to reducing stress? What would you recommend to our audience that is easy to do?
- Bathing — We seldom make time for baths, but we reap the benefits when we do.
- Breathing exercises — Learn an exercise that you can perform easily, anywhere and everywhere. All you need is a rollerball! I love box breathing. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold the breath for 4 seconds, and then breathe out for 4 seconds.
- Light a candle — I love the Relax Candle with West Indian Bay and Myrrh. It brings total calm in a moment of frenzy.
Originally from Los Angeles, Alicia lived in Shanghai for 11 years before moving back to the states to attend the University of Miami, where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in public relations and minors in art and philosophy. Currently residing in New York City, Alicia applies her knowledge of strategic communication and design in her career. She enjoys painting, rugby, exploring, and more often than not, you’ll find her petting someone’s dog.