New Year, New Makeup
the latest products and useful tips from some our favorite natural beauty brands
This month, we propose a New Year’s resolution that comes with the promise of glowing skin and a new outlook for your 2018 makeup routine.
Jane Iredale, president and founder of Iredale Mineral Cosmetics, Ltd. shared her own wisdom as well as the latest scoop on the popular makeup trends in her office.
“The best cosmetic you can wear is healthy skin.” She told us, “A nutritional supplement that improves the health of the skin and works in conjunction with topical products is essential for anyone’s New Year routine. Every morning I take our Skin Omegas, which contain sustainably sourced omega-3, omega-6, and vitamin A. I also take Skin Vitamin A and Skin Antioxidant.
“The perfect easy update for the New Year is a bright lip. No matter what, colors always deepen when the weather is colder. Right now I’m loving red lips and, from what I see around our offices, so do a lot of the women here. Healthy-looking skin, minimal eye makeup, and a gorgeous red mouth make for a confident and modern look. Swipe on an apple red hue like our PureMoist Lipstick in the shade Gwen. If you prefer a deep, classic red I suggest using PureMoist in Cindy.
“Incorporating products that enhance your best features is another way to update your beauty routine. This January we’re launching our GreatShape™ Contour Kits, which make it easy to create a natural looking glow-from-within. It even comes with a guide on how to apply highlight, contour, and blush to your unique face shape.”
Chantecaille’s Global Artist Eddie Hernandez shared expert tips on makeup application and skin protection during the winter months.
“It’s crucial to keep skin moisturized and protected against colder weather. A hydrated base benefits the wear and look of makeup, so to prep skin I incorporate a serum like Chantecaille’s Vital Essence under moisturizer for added hydration, and mix Rose de Mai Face Oil into foundation for a dewy finish that moisturizes all day. This winter, I recommend updating your beauty look by highlighting eyes with a seasonal shine, warming cheeks with a radiant flush, and perfecting an effortless lip look:
Metal-effect Eye Makeup:
Get this look with metallic eyeshadow and highlighted eyes.
• Liven up and open your eyes with Shimmer Eye Liner, an accent liner that highlights the lash line and lasts all day.
• Line with Luster Glide Silk Infused Eyeliner in Earth
• Then spray your liner brush with Pure Rosewater and dip into the rose gold or copper eye shadow from the Le Chrome Luxe Duo in Monte Carlo. Press the shadow over the liner for a liquid metal effect that will last.
3-D Volume Blush:
Revive dull winter skin with rosy radiant cheeks by creating a blushed look with 3-D volume.
• To create volume, define the top of the cheekbones with the Anti-Aging Liquid Lumière highlighter in Brilliance, extending toward the temples.
• Layer the Cheek Gelée in Happy onto the apples of the cheeks, melting the two together for a flushed glow. This combination creates comfortable and lasting rosy cheeks with a subtle gleam.
Blurred Lip Color
Embrace this season’s velvet trend with a matte lip and sheer sheen. Layer rose-pink Matte Chic Lipstick in Marisa with an ultra-conditioning gloss for a contrasting high-fashion lip.
• Swipe Matte Chic on the bottom lip only, then dab lips together.
• Then apply hydrating gloss Galactic Lip Shine on the center of the upper lip and dab again. Be sure to use a hydrating, soothing gloss like Galactic Lip Shine to prevent dryness.
Tata Harper, founder of Tata Harper Skincare, spoke with BWB and gave us some great advice for refreshing our beauty habits.
“When you want to hit the reset button on your routine, I think the best place to start is with the products you use daily, whatever they are. It all really starts by making the personal commitment to yourself to improve your quality of life and buy products that encourage that. For makeup in particular, especially for women who are used to a full routine and are trying to cut back, my products such as the Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint and Very Highlighting Highlighter are simple both in ingredients and application. Small changes always have the potential to create a larger impact.”
With the help of these experts, prepare for a year filled with flawless skin and a glowing complexion.