Chequeout, Stay In with Kathryn Lasater A New Way to Shop
Checking out with Chequeout is the future of contactless shopping. Cheque out BWB’s exclusive interview with the app’s founder, Kathryn Lasater.
Checking out with Chequeout is the future of contactless shopping.
I had the chance to try out the app for myself during an online shopping event. From a consumer perspective, it really couldn’t be easier. Having someone walk me through the individual items on sale made it much easier to decide what I wanted and what I didn’t. No need to wander aimlessly around the store looking for a salesperson to answer your questions! If you see something you like, you can use your phone to scan the QR code directly from your screen to add things to your cart. If you’re anything like me and are stubbornly indecisive, I love that I can still have that in-store shopping experience without the impulse purchasing. With the app, I can take my time deciding before I hit the purchase button. I can’t wait for more stores to start utilizing Chequeout!
Let’s check out the app’s founder, Kathryn Lasater.
What was the inspiration behind starting Chequeout?
No one likes to wait in line. People love to browse, talk, compare products and ask questions. As soon as they decide they want to purchase something, the payment process shouldn’t be a hassle. In this day and age, payment should be contactless, seamless and instantaneous – almost invisible.
What makes it so innovative?
The power is in in your hands! Chequeout is a mobile platform that enables users to instantly purchase items by scanning QR codes on your phone into one simultaneous shopping basket. The platform is fully integrated with Shopify. As a result, merchants can reconcile inventory, rapidly assign and adjust products to designated locations, review analytics and leverage Cheque’s growing curated network of shoppers.
Please explain how it works…
- Download the Chequeout app on your phone. For faster check-out, add your credit card and shipping details in advance, or sign in using ApplePay.
- Open the Chequeout app on your mobile phone.
There are three ways to shop:
- IN-STORE: Enter a shop that is using Chequeout and have your phone in hand. Select the Scanning feature on the bottom of your phone screen and scan the QR/Barcode on items. Add your item to your bag and when ready to purchase, select Chequeout.
- ON-LINE: Preview merchandise on the ;Chequeout website using an alternate device such as a laptop or iPad. Then, use the Chequeout app on your phone to scan QR codes to purchase from the website.
- ZOOM CALL: Open the Chequeout app on your phone and select the event that you are participating in. As the Zoom call showcases each item, you’ll find a QR code underneath the product. Hold up your phone to the computer screen to scan the QR code and add it to your shopping bag. Alternatively, a “Deep-Link” will be provided in the chat feature of the Zoom call in case you are unable to be on two devices. When you press and hold the link, the Chequeout app will open so you can add the item to your bag.
Complete the payment process by clicking Chequeout to pay. The app will automatically send a receipt to both the user and the merchant.
What you love most…
This is a tough question. I adore traveling. My entire family is from NYC and I grew up in downtown Chicago, but I also spent several years in Boston and I currently live in San Francisco. It’s such a large town to me and I am definitely the “city mouse.” But, I have loved escaping to the mountains in Aspen for about 10 years now. It is my happy place for both winter and summer and it is where I take the time to focus on myself and family.
Favorite restaurants and cafés…
I love to cook and entertain at my home in San Francisco – which has definitely been the case because of COVID. My mother was a fantastic chef. She presented everything that she served – whether it be complicated or simple – beautifully. I love presenting simple food on a gorgeous plate with a beautiful tablescape while spending quality time with new and old friends. I have an enormous tabletop/dinnerware collection – it’s a problem.
I always have a lot of energy and it drives my family bananas. I hike, bike or run every morning around 5:30 AM. When I return home, I shower and get ready for my kids’ breakfast at 7:15. They are out the door or on their Zoom calls by 8:00 AM. Then, I retreat to my office for the day.
A perfect outfit…
I adore and appreciate clothes – but I honestly live in the same clothes everyday. Blue jeans, starched button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, and a fabulous bag. A great belt also goes a long way. For example, I have some fabulous Hermès Bridal leather belts with various buckles. Often, I pair it with a bespoke Brioni deep navy blazer and a pair of flats. Alternatively, the belt goes very well with Giovanni Rossi suede boots and one of my Austrian jackets that I have collected over the years. When it comes to accessories, I love yellow gold jewelry. I have some beautiful vintage thick gold chain bracelets that I like to layer and some great vintage Bvlgari earrings.
Must-have skincare products…
- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, and A.G.E. Interrupter
- La Mer Eye Cream and La Mer Concentrate
- Ambre Blends Unmasque Body Crème
- Frédéric Malle’s Portrait of a Lady
- Hermès Eau Des Merveilles
Favorite makeup products…
- Clé de Peau Radiant Fluid Foundation
- Chantecaille Cheek Gelee, Happy
- Surratt Lip Lustre, Nudité
- Chantecaille Honeypot Lip Veil
Originally from Los Angeles, Alicia lived in Shanghai for 11 years before moving back to the states to attend the University of Miami, where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in public relations and minors in art and philosophy. Currently residing in New York City, Alicia applies her knowledge of strategic communication and design in her career. She enjoys painting, rugby, exploring, and more often than not, you’ll find her petting someone’s dog.