Red Velvet Latte
A healthy, eco, and rosier take on your morning brew.
Everything’s just a bit better through rose-colored lenses. This vegan recipe is full of naturally-occurring plant-based nutrients, caffeine and antioxidants. Try this earthy and sweet beverage with a few eco-mindful twists!
- 1 cup steamed pea milk – in excess, some dairy-alternatives such as almond milk may actually negatively impact the drought-ridden areas which harvest the nut due to the large amount of water needed for this crop to grow.
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup – when sourced responsibly and sustainably, other low-impact alternatives to sugar include puréed dates or date sugar and palm sugar (more information on sustainable sugars can be found here.)
- 3 tbsp organic cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla bean extract
- ½ cup organic coffee (I prefer my latte with 2 espresso shots)
- 1½ tbsp organic beet juice
- In your mug, Add the maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla bean extract, and beet juice. Then, stir until the mixture becomes a burgundy-hued paste.
- Pour in the coffee.
- Take a moment to steam your milk for that creamy, frothy almost cake-like effect. Or warm the milk over the stove in a small pot if you are in a hurry!
- Add the warmed milk to the mixture and enjoy your eco-sweet, rose-colored latte.
Taylor is a recent honors graduate of Rhode Island School of Design’s Painting and Art History Department. A dual-citizen in Belgium and the U.S. with frequent wanderlust, a passion for editorial, and an affinity for sketching, she is now exploring the connection between art and beauty.