Katherine Greiner’s summer recipe
Katherine Greiner shares with us one of her favorite summer recipe.
Summer time is around the corner and a favorite fruit of mine is beginning to come into season and show up at the farmer’s market – The Avocado. (yes it’s a fruit).
As a fitness professional, I love the avocado for its cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s nature’s perfect endurance and recovery food.
In order for certain nutrients, namely the carotenoid nutrient class (think beta carotene, lutein, etc.), to be properly absorbed by the body, an essential dietary fat must also be present in the meal to facilitate this optimal absorption. This is often why health experts will recommend adding flax seeds or walnuts to a smoothie, or making sure to use good quality olive oil in your salad dressing.
The types of dietary fat found in these food items facilitate optimal absorption.
The avocado is unique in that it not only has the proper combo of dietary fats to facilitate optimal nutrient absorption, but it also contains a whopping total of nine of the essential carotenoid antioxidant nutrients that other essential fatty acid containing foods do not carry!
Perfectly Simple Guacamole Recipe
- 2 avocados
- 2-3 limes
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ red or Spanish onion
- Coarse sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Smash and chop the garlic clove and add to a bowl with the peeled and pitted avocados.
- Add juice of 2 limes and 2-3 pinches of salt.
- Mix those ingredients with the back of a fork (or in the blender) until combined and into a relatively smooth consistency.
- Chop onion and cilantro and add to mixture. Stir well. Taste.
- Add more lime juice or salt to taste.
- Tomatoes : add these only just before serving as they can get soggy if they sit too long in the mixture
- Jalapeños : if you like a little heat
- Cumin: gives a nice smokiness to the guacamole
- Pomegranate seeds: adds a delightful pop of surprise