Festive Bowl with Carrot-Millet Cakes, Winter Veggies, & Tahini-Lime Dressing
Prepare this seasonal meal, then try it again with some of your own favorite local and seasonal ingredients!
- For the carrot-millet cakes:
- 2 eggs
- 2 small carrots
- 2 teaspoons rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet
For the winter veggies:
- 1/3 cup green lentils
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 head broccoli1 medium beet (I like the yellow one for the colors)
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil
- ½ cup tahini paste (sesame paste)
- 1 lime for juice and zest (organic)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ medium avocado
- 2 teaspoon cilantro
- a pinch of salt
1. Put lentils in a medium bowl, cover with water and wash well. Drain and repeat until water is clear. Cover with water again and soak overnight / for up to 8 hours, if possible. Drain and rinse.
2. Preheat over at 410 degrees.
3. Chop the broccoli into florets and the sweet potato and beet into bite-sized cubes. Cover an oven pan with parchment paper and place the veggies and drizzle the olive oil and add thyme and Turmeric.
4. Let the veggies cook for 45 min.
5. In a small saucepan place the lentils, plus 1 cup water (if soaked – add 2 cups water if un-soaked), and sea salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered until water has been absorbed for about 30-40mn.
6. In another sauce pan, place millet plus 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered until water has been absorbed for about 20mn.
7. In a food processor shred the carrots, then mix them in a bowl with the eggs, and the rice flour, pinch of salt. Add the millet when cooked and make small pancake-shape cakes. Fry them in a bit of olive olive oil until light brown.
8. For the sauce, add all the ingredients except the cilantro in a food processor, and mix well.
9. To assemble the bowl, simply spoon in the lentils with the veggies, add the cakes on the side, and pour sauce over. Sprinkle some fresh cilantro.