A recipe from The Ranch at Live Oak Red Quinoa with Beets & Radicchio
This ruby- and russet-colored salad employs red quinoa, beets, and radicchio to create its rich hue.
This ruby- and russet-colored salad from the Ranch at Live Oak employs red quinoa, beets, and radicchio to create its rich hue.
Makes 6 servings
- 8 medium (2- to 3-inch-diameter) beets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1½ cups red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup unsweetened pure cherry or pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 small head radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the beets in a small baking dish, add a drizzle of olive oil, and cover with foil.
- Roast the beets until tender when pierced with a small sharp knife, about 1 hour.
- Set aside to cool. (The roasted beets can be prepared up to 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.)
- In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 3 cups water, the quinoa, and ½ teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes longer.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In small bowl, whisk together the cherry juice, vinegar, walnut oil, and olive oil to blend.
- Stir in the shallot and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss to blend.
- Peel, halve, and thinly slice the beets.
- Add the beets, radicchio, and dried cherries to the quinoa and stir gently to combine.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the walnuts, and serve.
(The salad can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate; garnish with the toasted walnuts just before serving.)
Each serving: 382 calories (kcal) • 18 g fat • 0 mg cholesterol
48 g carbohydrates • 7 g dietary fiber • 11 g protein • 408 mg sodium
167 IU vitamin A • 6 mg vitamin C • 52 mg calcium • 1 mg iron