Sweet Potato Waffles
Skip the calories from your neighborhood Waffle House and opt for this healthy, delicious, sweet potato alternative.
Delicious Sweet Potato Waffles from the “50 Healthiest 10-Minute Recipes” book by Dr. Christian Harisch and Dr. med. Anne Fleck.
2 Servings, makes 6–7 hearty waffles
09MIN : 56SEC
- 300g (101⁄2 oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped, or grated with an electric chopper
- 350g (121⁄2 oz) spelt flour (type 630)
- 125g (41⁄2 oz) soft butter
- 100ml (31⁄2 fl oz) milk
- 100g (31⁄2 fl oz) olive oil
- 100ml (31⁄2 fl oz) white wine
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- Melted butter for the waffle maker
- Waffle maker (Belgian waffle maker if possible!)
- Place all of the ingredients for the batter in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy using the paddle attachment.
- Preheat the waffle maker, lightly grease and cook each waffle separately until crispy.
(TIP: Serve with smoked salmon and horseradish dip. These waffles are very delicious and easy to prepare!)
Sweet Potatoes: Chock full of vitamins and minerals, with phytonutrients such as antioxidant anthocyanins and anti-inflammatory carotenoids. Balancing effect on blood sugar levels (recommended for diabetics), rich in folic acid, vitamins C, B2, B6 and biotin, as well as copper and manganese.
Originally from Los Angeles, Alicia lived in Shanghai for 11 years before moving back to the states to attend the University of Miami, where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in public relations and minors in art and philosophy. Currently residing in New York City, Alicia applies her knowledge of strategic communication and design in her career. She enjoys painting, rugby, exploring, and more often than not, you’ll find her petting someone’s dog.