All That Glitters a shimmering party season palette
From burnished jewels to molten metallic nothing is more festive than a shimmering party season palette.
Follow BWB’s guide to dabbling in glitter the grown-up way.
Backstage at the Altuzarra Fall 2014 show there was a seminal make-up moment.
Set on a neutral eye, make-up Supremo Tom Pecheux decided to rip up the rule book when he looked to a pot of gold to inject some game-changing gold glitter.
The result? An ethereal wash of shimmer dusted over the eyelids.
This holiday season, take your cue from the pro’s and dress up your make-up with an illuminating shimmer for a festive finish.
BWB’s Glitter Rules
1. “A little shimmer goes a long way so make sure to only wear it on one part of your face” advises A List Make-Up Artist Bobbi Brown. “You don’t want your lips, eyes and cheeks to compete for attention. For example, if you play up your eyes with a shimmering eye shadow, keep lips muted with a matte lip color or gloss”.
2. “If you opt for a metallic, everything else needs to be minimal”, cautions Tom Pecheux. “As soon as you wear it in a subtle way, with not much else, it becomes chicer.”
3. “A touch of shimmer on the apple of the cheeks over your blush is a quick way to illuminate your skin for the evening” says Bobbi Brown.
4. “Highlighting is important for a nude look as it gives the face depth and can subtly change or enhance facial contours” explains Wendy Rowe Artistic Consultant for Burberry, “allowing you to create openness and prominence, bringing the bone structure forward”.
Swap shadows for a mascara with glitter pigments like Yves Rocher Gold Glitter Mascara. One coat over the top of your favourite mascara will give lashes the prettiest of shimmers with every blink.
5. Adding back touches of shimmer to certain areas of the complexion is important for a multidimensional look and gives skin a lit from within radiance. “Blend Burberry Beauty Illuminating Perfumed Powder in Gold onto your cheekbones, using a fan brush for more controlled application” says Rowe. “Keep the focus on the C shape that hugs the eye area, right up to the temples, it gives skin the prettiest of finishes”.
6. If attempting a glitter eye wash sounds too daunting, start with baby steps. Swap shadows for a mascara with glitter pigments like Yves Rocher Gold Glitter Mascara. One coat over the top of your favourite mascara will give lashes the prettiest of shimmers with every blink.
7. Glitter nails are girly as opposed to grown-up, instead for a more polished finish opt for glitter accents. On the ring fingers add a glitter tip to your nail, “It gives them a delicate detailing that picks up the light, subtle but impactful”, says Celebrity Manicurist Jenni Draper.
Bobbi Brown Copper Diamond Shimmer
Burberry Beauty Illuminating Perfumed Powder in Gold
Yves Rocher Gold Glitter Mascara
Smith & Cult Nail Polish in Bridge & Tunnel
MAC Pro 3D Brass Gold Glitter