Our Selection of 6 Best Cleansers
Below are 6 cleansers that will wash away all of your sins while still leaving your skin PH balanced, protected and intact.
When clients come to me for a skin consultation there are a series of questions I ask them. Some questions include, “Do you have any health issues? What is your diet like? What kind of life style do you lead? What products do you use?” and most importantly “How are you cleansing your skin and what are you using to do it”?
Right now you are probably thinking, as long as a cleanser removes make-up and gets rid of dirt, my skin will be fine. However, when you wash your face every night, it’s important that you know all facial cleansers are not created equal. What you use to wash your face has a strong impact on the health of your skin.
To explain the importance of proper cleansing, you must understand what the acid mantle of the skin is and why it is important. The acid mantle is a protective film made up of dead cells, natural oils and sweat, covering the outermost layer of your skin. It is naturally acidic and protects the skin from alkaline predators, bacteria, viruses and environmental pollutants. Harsh cleansers with sulfates and alkaline-based ingredients may strip away this protective layer, leaving your skin open to sensitivities, dermatitis, acne, rashes and allergic reactions.
Have I scared you? Good, but don’t fret; BWB is here to help. Below are 6 cleansers that will wash away all of your sins while still leaving your skin PH balanced, protected and intact.
Use organic cotton pads to remove cleansers and make-up.
A pro tip: ditch the washcloth; it is too abrasive to the skin. Instead, use organic cotton pads to remove cleansers and make-up. I like Koh Gen Do Organic Cotton Pads. If you want to add a level of luxury to your cleansing process you must try Morihata Flax Line Facial Towels. They are soft and gentle and show your skin the respect it deserves.
BWB Top 6 Facial Cleansers
…for the balmy lovers
1. Suti Cleanse Facial Cleansing Balm is a soothing balm that melts into oil when applied to the skin. It smells of lime and geranium and comes with an organic muslin cloth. Some key ingredients are shea butter, avocado & apricot oils, olive fruit oil and cacao seed butter. It is gentle to the skin while successfully removing all traces of make-up and dirt. You can feel the love that has been put into this product and it just may make you look forward to cleansing your skin.
Lumavera cleanser transforms from a gel to a milky cleanser and leaves your skin soft and supple.
…for the ingredient obsessed
2. Lumavera Facial Cleansing Gel is light in its application, but don’t let that fool you. It is packed with triglycerides, a combination of powders derived from vegetables, tangerine extract, olive and sunflower seed oil, and even spinosa sprout cell culture extract. This cleanser transforms from a gel to a milky cleanser and leaves your skin soft and supple.
…for stubborn skin
3. 100% Pure Organic Flax Seed Cleansing Oil features cold pressed flax seed, vitamin E, rosemary, thyme, oregano & orange oil. It removes eye make-up very well and leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean but not dry. This is a great cleanser for all skin types and an ideal pick for oily skin.
…for the rose lovers
4. Suki Moisture-Rich Cleansing Lotion is based in a rose concentrate, which I love. There is also sugar cane, grape seed oil, lemon peel, kaolin clay, sage and safflower seed oil. This cleanser feels weightless but gets the job done.
…for those of you that love to play with products
5. Tres Pure Face Cleanse is ideal for all of those who love to be their own facialist. Tres Pure is a powder based cleanser featuring rice, adzuki, bambusa, fennel, rose & sandalwood powders. You mix it with water and apply as you would other cleansers. I like to mix it in a small cup to better control the consistency. Not only is this a great cleanser, I find it to be a great mask as well. It also gets an A for originality.
Wipes by Lauren Napier are also individually packaged, allowing for the perfect facial travel accessory.
…for my friends who are always on the go
6. Cleanse Facial Cleansing Wipes by Lauren Napier brings wipes to a whole other level. Aloe, chamomilla flower, cucumber and oat kernel extracts gently and thoroughly remove your make-up and any other dirt you may have accumulated while out and about. They are also individually packaged, allowing for the perfect facial travel accessory.
Lastly, friends, I always like to end my cleansing process with a spray of rosewater. It is filled with anti-oxidants, and is an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial substance. It also allows for better penetration by your products. My favorite? Smell The Roses by Jane Iredale.
Sending you happily clean skin,
Vanessa Baumann has been a licensed, medical aesthetician in New York for over twenty-three years, currently working with one of Manhattan’s top plastic surgeons. She has also launched Rejuvanessance , a site and blog devoted to skin care products, advice and the quest for glowing skin.