5 Favorite Body Oils for the Winter
A little TLC and my favorite body oils will bring back soft, glowing skin in no time.
Brrrrr, it is cold in New York and I am feeling the winter’s wrath.
To warm up we subject our skin to the drying heat in our homes and very long hot showers & baths.
This, coupled with the lack of humidity outside causes our skin to lose valuable moisture. It breaks down the outer barrier of the epidermis and can cause flaky, itchy skin and may even contribute to acne and eczema flare ups.
Don’t worry friends, a little TLC and my favorite body oils will bring back soft, glowing skin in no time.
First, it is important to gently exfoliate your body to shed old skin cells and allow for better penetration of your oils. Try Captain Blankenship’s Rosemary & Lemongrass Sugar Scrub. It is based in a healing almond oil and is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. I love using it on my lips also.
Follow with one of my favorite body oils for winter. I find it best to apply them right after your shower or bath while your skin is still moist. This will aid in better absorption and also helps to lock in moisture. My picks for the season are:
• Jao’s Goe Oil. It is packed with 28 plant, fruit and flower oils. Rose hip and hemp oils are keys players in adding essential fatty acids. Mango and pumpkin butter contribute to its richness. I use this for everything! It has saved my feet and hands and cured my dry knees.
• Avène Body Oil is a constant go to for me and it never disappoints. Like most of their products it is based in Avene Thermal Water. It also has vitamin A and E and avocado oil. It is the perfect consistency and I am addicted to the way it smells. I even pour it in my bath.
• Pacific Body Oil by True Nature Botanicals is great for extremely dry skin. Sesame oil is used to heal and reduce flaking and the apricot oil is rich in linoleic acid. There is also camiellia and watermelon seed oils and the lovely scent of Neroli.
• Kahina’s Fez Body Serum is perfect for winter. The intoxicating scents of clove, cumin, sandalwood and bergamot are rich and warming. Argan and coconut oil work great together to smooth the skin. I love that it is made in the USA but makes me feel like I am transported to Morocco.
• Body Oil For Vital Energy by Ila. They use organic rosehip seed oil as well as juniper, lemongrass, patchouli and vitamin E. There is a real substance to this oil and it really brightens my mornings when it is cold and grey outside.
These body oils can deliver the soft, glowing skin of summer days gone allowing you to enjoy winter in all of its cold glory.
Sending soft skin and warm wishes,
Vanessa Baumann has been a licensed, medical aesthetician in New York for over twenty-three years, currently working with one of Manhattan’s top plastic surgeons. She has also launched Rejuvanessance , a site and blog devoted to skin care products, advice and the quest for glowing skin.